Travelling with a baby
With kids so well looked after by Esprit, parents managed to have a blast at few restaurants and apres ski Tignes and Val d’Isere, indulging in French cuisine, skiing and even dancing on the tables over aperols at La Folie Douse Val d Isere! Here are our highlights and favourites, including best restaurants Val d Isere and Tignes, slopes included.
Here are our favourite picks after a week of wondering around. (1) Best lunch on the slopes goes to La Fruitiere – part of La Folie Douce madness – classy and properly gourmet. Certianly within 3 best restaurants Val d Isere.Best steak we had in a long time, served with an amazing jus, fried onions and potato and reblochon casserole. To die for. The fish soup also amazing, the usual aioli, parmesan and croutons in a vintage pot. The rose kept flowing to my delight – going so well with both dishes. We had to go back on our last day of skiing so good it was – when we attempted for the first time that week a lunch outside – sunny but still freezing. Have to admit steak got colder a lot quicker – so would definitely recommend enjoying thoroughly and properly inside; on the other hand we got to dance around our table and soak in the last hour of happy vibes and La Folie’s amazing tunes. Back to La Fruitiere, quirky funny detail – the personnel proposes the funniest vintage ‘biddons’ to dry and warm-up your belongings.
(2) Our next favourite on slopes must be Maison Bouvier, Panoramic at 3,032m. The vibes and set up are very mountain and chic. On our first day skiing temperatures on La Grande Motte neared -28C, so I spent an hour defrosting in the Panoramic lounge by the fireplace. There are slippers to warm up frozen feet and blankets – delightful. For lunch we had the foie gras and the reblochon in the bread and of course a couple of glasses.
(3) A bit more budget, our 3rd choice goes to a sweet retro eatery on Glacier Pisaillas – Le Signal. (4 & 5) Great tartiflette and vin chaud. We also had lunch at Le Trifollet and Les Marmottes – pizza and more tartiflette, good especially if you are after speedy service.
(6) Our apres ski Tignes area choice totally goes to La Folie Douce Val d Isere (pics above), we went pretty religiously between 3-4:30pm. Wednesday must have been our favourite day, happy crowd on tables, saxophone or electric guitar, amazing dj, tunes and singers. 4:30 is a sensible time to leave; the sun disappears from La Folie around 4pm, it gets very cold and far too merry for my taste to descent on the slopes.
(7) Dinner wise our favourite was La Table en Montagne, Maison Bouvier again, this time Val Claret. Part of Les Suites de Nevada, the lounge is cool and chilled. The cutest Saint Bernard lies by the bar – so cuddly and friendly. The restaurant is next door and has some out of this world option: polenta with truffles, amazing fondues and the best cheese moelleux I ever tried. We had dinner with our friends from Geneva – a truly special affair and certainly among 3 best restaurants Val d Isere area.
(8) Back in Tignes le Lac we also had dinner at Escale Blache – good fondues aux cepes, but quite difficult to match Maison Bouvier’s class and quality.
(9 & 10) Ski wise our favourites were Les Glaciers and Grande Motte – stunning views and wide beautiful red slopes. With freezing temperatures stops at Panoramic very wise and luckily the Funicular is all inside and offers a good chance to warm up. We also loved Ok Coupe de Monde and Orange – both from top of Funival from La Dailles or Olypmique cable car Val d’Isere. Less fond of the blue Genepy from Grande Motte – we took it by mistake and it’s very up and down as well as flat – true though, the views are stunning. Also the black going into Val d’Isere interesting challenge but far too many moguls for our taste. We’ve also done our part of spontaneous off piste attempting various shortcuts – fun when you dont get stuck in funny valleys! 😉 40km each day of skiing for 6 days – thanks a million again to Esprit impeccable childcare!
For non skiing parents, Tignes Le Lac has few entertainment options. Swimming pool by the lake – the Lagon. Iceskating on the lake next to Toviere cable car. Flying over the mountains – paragliding. Husky sledging or just sledging. And for the very brave ones diving under the frozen lake.
A week out of this world again thanks to Esprit teams where we properly enjoyed the mountains, French cuisine at best restaurants Val d Isere, apres ski Tignes and ourselves! How many days left please to our next ski holiday?
For more inspiration on winter fun, head to our Best ski resorts in Europe with kids or without.