Travelling with a baby
Christmas in Maldives with toddler and a child has been one of the best presents ever to myself, the kids and the other half. And for anyone who wonders – why do I choose regularly spending small fortunes on travelling with my very young kids? ; annoying fellow travellers on planes, taking babies out of their routines and sterilised equipment, convenience of home and known childcare? And why out of all destinations, did we decide for Maldives – a typical honeymoon destination? As I wrote back then, we had 3 other couple friends spread around Maldives atolls! 2 enjoying the Maldivian bliss without the exhuberance of babies and one just like us, with their 5 years old. Here are 7 reasons why luxury Maldives holidays are truly bliss and make a perfect Christmas present.
1.Having turned 40 this year, I got to the conclusion that life is very short. Quite a cliche I know, but becoming very real when you do realise the first half of your life (and very likely better one…) is gone ! And this has one brave assumption, that my wish to get to 80s turns true! Maldives has been one of the most memorable holidays for us before kids and we kept dreaming and talking about going with the cheeky monkeys.
The very moment they stepped in the seaplane and on Banyan Tree Angsana Velavaru island, they loved it!
2. Maldives holidays are easy! 12 hours journey aside and thereafter another 45 min local flight, life is so easy thereafter. Kiddies and parents dont need much clothes and all parties can esily indulge in the beach just in front of the villa or private swimming pool in the back. Angsana Velavaru has the perfect set up – especially for the young kids like ours, the privacy of our lovely villa (own pool and stretch of the beach) is heaven!
3. Christmas in Maldives spares us from shopping sprees in busy malls and collecting toys and objects. I’d rather have my kids relaxed about their properties and embracing the ride and experiences!
4. Christmas in Maldives also gets us away from heavy long lunches and dinners – UK and Romania are masters of piling up the heavist and/or meaty dishes over a full week – December 24th – January 1st – a lethal dose for anyone who is not skiing 8 hours a day! We chose being in breakfast basis at Angsana Velavaru and works great for us. Happy hours 5-7pm over sunset at the beach bar translate into the most relaxed casual aperitivo and dinner with all of us.
It’s social and fun as well, we kept of cheering with other fellow parents and testing various cocktails. The kiddies play on the beach and at the bar, we get the sandiest pretend pizzas and salads! But kiddies pretend service aside, Angsana staff is superb, warm and going the extra mile for whatever one wants. So far we indulged into freshly caught fish (jacks), Maldivian fish curry, seafood noodles, nassi goreng. The kids are addicted to fish fingers, fries and crudites – the fish in here for them is freshly caught and yum.
5. As I think family time is the most precious and would not see myself celebrating Xmas or anything spiritual without my kids. They may be loud, strong willed and shouty (E at 20 months ticks all these boxes) or cheeky and permanent attention seeking (our 4 years old) but can’t see myself going anywhere for a week without.
Having said that , the kidsclub at Angsana Velavaru is a life saver though and Tini who is running it is fabulous. Our 4 years old would love to move in there – so I am doing my best to limit to 2.5 hours in the morning whilst we are diving or snorkelling and 1.5 hour in the afternoon.
6. For gorgeous pictures, videos and writing real travel stories on luxury Maldives holidays or simply Maldives with toddler or kids.
We are far from perfectly behaved kids or that holiday pic from travel agent catalogues or Insta stories but love to keep pics and clips on blog and social media! No heavily filtered or edited pics but mostly genuine and autenthic family experiences !
7.As I’d like my kids to experience the sealife with the benefit of seeing it in the wild rather than books or London aquarium. I truly believe they will become better protectors and advocates once they saw and understood it.
And there’s no place like Maldives for diving, swimming or spotting dolphins, sharks, turtles, rays or corrals.
We’ve travelled extensively and wrote about diving with sharks and dolphins; but can’t find a better place for all of this! We met already 5 baby sharks by our shores, their mamma whilst I snorkelled by our reef and the cutest friendliest sting rays.
Disclosure: Thanks a million to Banyan Tree Angsana Velavaru wonderful hospitality and media rate for 1 week, a truly luxury Maldives holidays. All pics, overexcited kiddies and ecstatic impressions ours.