Italian coast is a glorious destination and here are our favourites and bits and pieces over the years for the best beach holidays in Italy with kids or without. And in case you wonder – about half of our friends are Italian. And over the years, that translated in many travels to and around Italy, lots of joyous occasions we celebrated together and knowing well most of those gorgeous lands.
1. Cinque Terre – landscapes out of this world.
We stayed in Manarola in the lovely boutique hotel La Toretta. Life goes sweet and slow by these dramatic shores. Pause, breathe, observe : fishermen, cats, locals hanging freshly washed clothes to dry in the sun.
From Manarola we explored Romagiore by foot on Via dell’ Amore – name says it all. Cliffs, vineyards and sea – all magic.
2. Tremiti islands – idyllic archipelago in the Adriatic.
We sailed from Termoli for 3 days, indulging in crystal clear waters.
It’s been quite a memorable adventure, where our captain almost lost our boat in a stormy night and all boys had to chip in. The islands have volcanic origins, are tiny but lush and rich in history.
Luckily no kids involved, just lots of prossecco bottles during and after to heal the trauma 😉
3. Liguria – we love the convenience of short flight to Genova, the charming Santa Margherita de Liguria, the authentic and rustique Camogli, and the posh Portofino.
Liguria we have been with kids and without, both occasions stayed in Rapallo.
Without the kids we opted for the gorgeous hotel Bristol.
With a baby we found Airbnb flat with a large terrace more relaxing and convenient.
4. Amalfi. South of Naples has the most dramatic and stunning living on the edge scenary: terraced pastel-hued villages, steep hillsides, turquoise waters and luxuriant gardens.
We went with a 6 weeks old baby and stayed in the beautiful boutique hotel Villa Gianlica in Praiano. We spent a week exploring Positano, Amalfi, hidden walks and trecks, rocks, sea, vineyards, lemon and olive trees orchards – bliss.
Also from Naples 2017 discovery has been 5. Procida. Much quieter and unspoilt than Costiera Amalfitana, Procida appeals to travellers looking for gems.
6. Ischia – another treasure in the Naples bay, we wrote about in here. Many reason to fall in love with this island, but the warm local hospitality at Ischia Dream Vision, Castello Aragonese and Negombo made it very very special and one of the best beach holidays in Italy with kids.
7. Sicily. We loved sailing with friends in crystal clear waters, explore steep cliffs, beaches, little bays and indulge in Sicilian regional food to die for.
Trapani is on the less known & touristy side. To us with local friends felt like paradise.
Trapani makes also a great pied a terre to explore Palermo and kilometres of Zingaro nature park, where wild nature meets the sea.
8. Favignana – technically still Sicily but a ferry away and words apart from the busy pace of Trapani or Palermo. We raved extensively about it in here, it ranked very well in our best beach holidays in Italy with kids. We picked a boutique cave hotel – Cave Bianche with a beautiful simplicity and peacefulness in a gorgeous tufa quarry setting: stone, flowers, greennery and water.
Ciao belle spiagge and gorgeous Italian coast, ci rivedremo presto !